- The Reserve Bank of India on Monday came out with guidelines for banks to set up new currency chests.
- “Area of the strong room/ vault of at least 1,500 sq ft.
- For those situated in hilly/ inaccessible places, the strong room/ vault area of at least 600 sq ft,” the RBI said while specifying minimum standards for setting up new currency chests.
- Besides, the new chests should have a processing capacity of 6.6 lakh pieces of banknotes per day.
- For those situated in the hilly/ inaccessible places, capacity of 2.1 lakh pieces of banknotes per day.
What are Currency chests?
- Currency chests are branches of selected banks authorised by the RBI to stock rupee notes and coins.