- Inflation based on wholesale prices rose to 2.93% in February over January 2019 due to hardening of prices of primary articles, fuel and power.
- Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation stood at 2.76% in January 2019 and it was 2.74% during February 2018.
- Inflation of primary articles, which includes kitchen essentials like potato, onion, fruits, and milk increased to 4.84 per cent during the month, as against 3.54 in January.
- Wholesale-based price inflation for ‘fuel and power’ segment increased to 2.23 per cent in February as against 1.85 per cent in January 2019.
- The Base year for the calculation of the Wholesale Price Index is 2011-12. In the WPI index, Primary Articles had a weightage of 22.62 per cent, Fuel and Power had a weightage of 13.15 per cent and Manufactured Products had a weightage of 64.23%.
- The Wholesale Price Index is released by the Office of Economic Advisor (OEA), Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.