- The 2nd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19 have been released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare on 28th February, 2019. The cumulative rainfall in the country during the monsoon season (June to September, 2018) has been 9% lower than Long Period Average (LPA).
- The cumulative rainfall in North West India, Central India and South Peninsula during the aforesaid period has been overall normal.
- Most of the major crops producing states have witnessed normal monsoon rainfall. Accordingly, the production of most of the crops for the agricultural year 2018-19 has been estimated higher than their normal production.
As per 2nd Advance Estimates, the estimated production of major crops during 2018-19 is as under:
- Foodgrains – 281.37 million tonnes.
- Rice – 115.60 million tonnes. (record)
- Nutri / Coarse Cereals – 42.64 million tonnes.
- Maize – 27.80 million tonnes.
- Pulses – 24.02 million tonnes.
- Tur – 3.68 million tonnes.
- Gram – 10.32 million tonnes.
- Oilseeds – 31.50 million tonnes.
- Soyabean – 13.69 million tonnes
- Rapeseed and Mustard – 8.40 million tonnes
- Groundnut – 6.97 million tonnes
- Cotton – 30.09 million bales (of 170 kg each)
- Jute & Mesta -10.07 million bales (of 180 kg each)
- Sugarcane – 380.83 million tonnes